How you can help a blind person
- Always make your presence known and identify yourself to the blind person.
- Be natural with a blind person. Talk to him as you would a sighted person.
- Your voice should be normal, there is no need to "Shout" at a blind person - his hearing may be perfect.
- Always address the blind person by name if he is the one expected to reply. Otherwise he will be in doubt whether the remark was directed at him.
- Help to familiarize the blind person with his surroundings.
- When guiding a blind person, never take his arm and push him ahead, this could be dangerous. Allow him to take your arm; he will immediately feel secure and in control.
- Don 't regard blind people as sub-human or super-human - they are ordinary people with little or no sight.
- Blind people, as do sighted people, like to be treated with respect and consideration.
- Above all do not pity or sympathize with a blind person. Instead have an unconditional positive regard and empathy for the blind person.